Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lets Take One Step Backwards... Physio Visit #1: Flashback/Explanations/Exclusive-Insight-of-What-Exactly-Goes-On-Inside-My-Head. [You are Truly in for a Treat]

I must take you all back to my first physio experience, as I neglected to divulge this information previously. 
And because I assume that since I have made 'progress' (I'm sorry for the quotations, but I am still skeptical of this!) this past information will be necessary for comparative purposes. 

My Physiotherapist is Bulgarian, she speaks it and I believe grew up there. She is incredibly cool,  which makes physio bearable considering the circumstances. Her name is also the same as mine, (Lets call her, PT Same-Name) so when I see her and/or talk to her I make it a point to use her name, as I take great amusement that it appears that, I am in fact, conversing with myself. 
Moving on. 

The first appointment was the introduction stuff, questions answers etc. I got to tell my amusing story to her, there were laughs and grimaces (like seriously, what kind of nurse whacks an injured part of a patients body off the wall, Who does this ACTUALLY in REAL LIFE happen to??? really????) yeah, while telling this tale she wrote it ALL down because it is ALL relevant to my recovery. 
(Since I got hurt I feel a bit like an old person that people ignore when they are complaining about stupid things. But this isn't stupid so people should still listen to me. ...whippersnappers. lol)

She measured my Range of Motion (I don't understand the units of measure for this, (If someone does please educate me) and don't feel like looking it up so lets refer to it in points of 'levels' --I'm a old school video game nerd so if this reminds you a bit of Nes Mario you and I are totally on the same level, ha. look, I did it again)

LEFT FOOT: - The Good One
DOWNWARD (Planter Flexion): Level 50
UPWARD (Dorsiflexion): Level 25

*Reflective Notes/Comments*
When she measured my Range of Motion, PT Same-Name commented on my flexibility, saying it was  freakishly good and asked if I was a dancer or did any professional dance.
Pffft. I wish !
(To explain...Normal Planter Flexion is 50 and Normal Dorsiflexion is 20, or so I was told)
Anyways I felt pretty good,-- (I mean, Level 25??? Its like I cleared the whole game of Mario and discovered a hidden holy grail of levels where you can collect coins without dying, a point with awesome level glitches and/or Level travelling magic flutes, hidden music...-oh look, the nerd has arrived..)--lets be real, I felt REALLY GOOD about myself, well, till I remembered why I was here. 
I probably wouldn't be dancing any time soon. 


RIGHT FOOT: - The Stupid-Injured One
DOWNWARD (Planter Flexion): Level 35
UPWARD (Dorsiflexion): Level 5 

*Reflective Notes/Comments*
For real????
Level 35 is something I can kinda deal with (but just barely), but ONLY Level 5 upwards? 
(Keep in mind, moving your foot upwards is kinda imperative for normal walking.)
I am seriously not an expert nurse or studied anything to do with bones and blood and that kind of stuff, but even I can realize this. You know its bad when an English Major is able to understand that you have to be able to move your foot higher than Level 5 to walk normally. 

****
My apologies for the lovely rant. I promise in real life I am a charming, quiet, less outlandish girl. Oh and before I hurt myself, I swear, I swore much less. (haha) There was also far fewer bad puns... but I detest.. 

This of course was Physio Vist #1, friends, and was roughly May 9th 2011. 
Next appointment is Tuesday June 7th 2011.
New measurements will most likely be collected, (if not I will beg, I have no dignity, but I am totally okay with this...) and I shall compare. 

Good news shall be delivered. 
After all, I have decided, and, lets face it, I am pretty stubborn. 

:]

No comments:

Post a Comment